Thursday, December 21, 2006

Kannada -Canada Project Experience!



For me ... the whole workshop has been challenging and frustrating in spite of being open to ideas of new forms of theatre and stuff....but still come on guys..give me a break...its street theatre ya.. Not that I have done a Ph D thesis on Street theatre.
There are some essentials for any form of theatre and Street theatre has its own and I feel very sad when people neglect that aspect of it. I also discovered how this work has made me realize why our body is so important and useful in street theatre.

I like to work planning things and knowing things in what I am indulging into but this experience has not given me proper sleep at times. Having a sense of ambiguity of things is fine but for long...Hell no..

The culture aspect has been a key factor according to me during this training and I find it difficult to understand Canadian way of thinking. Obviously any individual got to respect other culture and views but this seems a complex process for me to under go..

On our first performance...the element of abstraction for a street play is NOT a good idea. My intuitions turned out to be right to a great extent. I really feel they could learn Kannada and put up a play in Kannada no matter how small or pathetic it turns out. I feel it is not too late... better be late than never..... Street theatre is not about coaching about it but getting into the groom of it and get the feel on ground reality.. Too preachy. Sorry. Its just the way I interpret my Indian system of working..
I hope this workshop broadens my idea of theatre in general and I get to see the Canadians teaching us some stuff .... Which still lies a mystery.. Expectations..Expectations..Sucks big time..

Looking forward for the up coming challenges..

Rock and Roll...

No comments: